Call-to-action or “CTA” is an instruction to users to prompt an action typically in the form of clicking on a button, calling a number, or watching a video. There are a few key points that are important to keep in mind when creating an effective CTA to get the response you want. Here are 7 tips for your next call-to-action.
- Effective call-to-action is most successful when the content is directive. Talk directly to the user on the other side of the content by writing in the second person. Using action words such as “create, begin, download, or watch” is far more effective than a generic “click here.”
- Without a clear value to the user, a CTA is all but useless. Show value in your call-to-action with a clear, precise message that explains the benefit of clicking. Offering downloads or trials for an email address is a highly effective strategy to compile leads of people who might be interested in purchasing the product in the future.
- People are busy and flooded with content online. Once you’re able to capture their attention, it’s imperative that you get them to act immediately, or there’s a very good chance that you’ll never catch their eye again. Use words like “now, immediately, today, or fast” to encourage action.
- Now that you have the user’s attention, it’s important to keep your verbiage consistent from the initial CTA, down to the final step. For example, if your initial call-to-action was “Download Your Free Audiobook,” and the user is taken to a landing page where it talks about a “Free Podcast” instead, it can cause confusion and result in a loss of leads. Pay attention to the entire chain of events and be sure that verbiage is consistent.
- Call-to-action placement is something that is often overlooked. Placing it above the fold may help drive more clicks, while placing it below will often result in a higher conversion rate. Take advantage of CTA on social media sites like Facebook where you can “pin” a post to the top of the page so users will see it first.
- You can’t rely on a small CTA link to get the job done. Sure, the function is the same, but who’s going to see it? Create an exciting, contrasting call-to-action that stands out from the surrounding content and make it big! It also helps to keep the surrounding material clean and organized.
- This is what it ultimately comes down to—Never underestimate the power of the button. Small enhancements like making a button look clickable can help drive clicks. Also, be smart about the text on the button itself. Most people’s eyes will go straight to the CTA button. Use a phrase that includes the above tips such as “Download Your FREE Newsletter Now” or “Start Your Trial Today” to capture the essence of the CTA in a few words.
Creating an effective call-to-action is much more than instructing the audience to “click here.” Clearly demonstrating elements of value and urgency can make a huge impact in your site traffic and revenue. Take a look at the CTA’s of reputable brands and see if you notice these key factors!
Have you taken your digital marketing as far as you can on your own and are interested in bringing it up to the next level? OnPoint Internet Marketing could be the best choice for you. Our local SEO strategy is custom for each and every business so you can be sure that you are getting exactly what you need.